[Byzantine Bindings]

Thursday 30 March 2017

Mid-Spring

prologue
hedges
green blushed with spring
six months of warm weather
hopefully new seeds are planted
old friends

i
change assures that
nothing changes
elements remain
if not the same
clearly identifiable
amid the new strands
there we were bumping along
when suddenly this happens
we became different
yet remained the same

ii
trying hard to see the acorn in the oak
the rain drop in the ocean
the cloud in the river
and they are easy
I construct the horizon
set the limits
at times they are so very small
I’m tempted to feel ashamed
but realise in time that breathing
saves me like nothing else

iii
it seems there is reality
and ultimate reality
like infinity which
isn’t just a big number
ultimate reality isn’t just another
paradigm
because you smash one idol
in favour of another
doesn’t make the new one
any less of an idol

iv
life’s searching
it seems
will yield up no answers
only more questions
because there is no end of questions
until the hard wiring itself breaks down
or
stopping the process
counting the breath
becoming the 'noble detached observer'*,

v
I come to see myself
as the horizon
running towards it
does not bring it any closer
only by stopping
will it come to me
like god or a butterfly
or some other illusion
which I can watch arise
and fall away

epilogue
thankfully words fail
eventually I collapse exhausted
and am able to see
the beauty of the clouds
scurry across the sky
hear the dawn chorus
smell the new spring season
taste the food which breaks my fast
get on with living
while still alive.











*Giacobbe, G. C. (2009) How to Become a Buddha in 5 Weeks: The Simple Way to Self-realisation. London: Arcturus Publishing. (p95)