[Byzantine Bindings]

Friday 25 August 2017

Finally

Turning the corner

Seems like an age, but it's probably only a couple of weeks, I managed to get this endband sorted.
I was making a tutorial to print off for myself and hit a brick wall when I got to this part. 

The problems were about consistency and infilling. I was adding extra turns at the corner to try and fill in the gaps. Turns out that at the gap just go in as if into a section and continue as normal. I know this doesn't mean anything to anyone but it's a lot to me.

The key to it was making a trial one, a board with a few sections sewn on and then keep doing it until it is right. It's a bit soul destroying having to keep cutting it off and starting again but in the end it is worth it.

Having the right thread helps too. It has been quite a journey to find the right sort. I have tried all manner of threads, and still have a few on order to try, so the journey isn't over yet.

It seems St. Benedict was right, "Always we begin again.", though I can't for the life of me find it in the Rule.